Summer is here, and it’s no secret that in Florida, the heat and humidity are likely to be pretty extreme over the next few months. Still, just because you are going to be using your AC unit more doesn’t mean your energy bills have to skyrocket. Contact our Sarasota HVAC pros at Airrific Air Conditioning & Heating for air conditioning repair and more. Our professionals will help you stay cool and save on AC costs this summer at the same time.
5 Ways to Save on A/C Costs this Summer
- Have your unit properly cleaned: A clean air conditioner is important for peak system efficiency year-round, but nowhere is this more true than in summer, when you may be using your AC unit every day. Particularly if your system has gone awhile without regular use, you’re going to want to make sure it gets a good cleaning before firing it up again.
First, check to see that the condensate lines, which carry moisture out of your home, are free from clogs. If you do find that they are clogged, you can use a vinegar solution to get rid of the obstructions. If your system has gone awhile without use, you may find that a lot of dust or dirt has accumulated. You should be able to simply hose the coils down, but for the fins, you will want to hire a technician for cleaning, as the thin metal they are made of is extremely sensitive. Finally, clear the area around your outside unit of any debris—this can include leaves, grass, or other things in your yard. If it’s been awhile since the unit has been cleaned, you will also want to check for animal droppings, as critters sometimes make their home in AC units over the winter. If after this you are still not convinced your air conditioner is clean, consider calling a professional for .
- Replace the filters: This is one of the easiest tasks in modern AC maintenance, yet so many of us forget to do it. The U.S. Department of Energy suggests that you change your AC filters every few months to keep the unit running smoothly and to cut down on AC costs. Moreover, changing the filters in your air conditioner is essential to improving indoor air quality, as dirty filters basically end up circulating contaminants in your system throughout the air. With summer, you may even want to change the filter every month, given how much more you’re likely to be using the unit. Fortunately, AC filters can be purchased at home improvement stores or most major online retailers, or you can call a technician to replace them for you.
- Check your ductwork for leaks: When your ducts leak, your HVAC system has to work a lot harder, driving cooling costs up. Sealing leaky ducts has been shown to have a significant impact on reducing cooling costs, as well as improving your system’s overall energy efficiency. To accomplish this, inspect the ducts for disconnected joints, loose pieces, and small holes. If you do find that there are holes, you can buy a special tape to seal them up. For other duct work, call a licensed heating and cooling technician.
- Examine the concrete slab under your outside unit: You may never have thought of doing this, but the position of your outside AC unit can actually have a huge impact on its performance. To wit, if you find that it is unlevel on top of the concrete slab it’s attached to, the air conditioner will have to work harder to cool your house, and your cooling bills may go up. If you find that your outside unit doesn’t look level or the concrete slab holding it in place is falling apart, you should call a professional to address the problem.
- Consider installing a programmable or smart thermostat: By now you’ve probably already heard a lot about programmable and smart thermostats, and how they can improve your HVAC system. These improvements are especially beneficial in summer, when you will want the full power of your AC but may want to reduce usage when you’re at work or away from home to save money. After all, running your AC constantly is not only costly, but can also damage your system. Not only can this technology help you avoid that, it makes a big difference for those who travel a lot during the summer, sometimes leaving their home for weeks at a time. Fortunately, modern thermostats are pretty easy to install, and can be purchased both in stores and online.
Get Terrific A/C Service—From Airrific Air Conditioning & Heating!
In addition to following our helpful tips for summer, make sure to call Airrific Air Conditioning & Heating when you need quality heating and AC service year-round. Our licensed, factory-trained, and EPA-certified Sarasota experts offer air conditioning services ranging from installations to ductless AC work. Make the smart choice when it comes to your HVAC system, and call Airrific Air Conditioning & Heating now for high-end products and special offers.